~*Crushed*Glass*~ (crushedglass) wrote,

I didn't witness any seizures today

My head hurts terribly so I'm going to make this as concise as possible I think.

Kitty had his vet appointment at 2 today. I was a few minutes late. As I was driving away from the house I saw a bird flapping in the road so I called my grandma and picked him up and took him to her. She put him in my former bedroom until she could get out her bird cage. She thinks it's a grackle. He's really pretty. Black with purple iridescence and dark blue on his head and neck.

Then we were held up with some construction on the highway. Stupid construction.

We finally got there, and were shown to a room. We saw the lady doctor. Dr. Winters. I like her more than Dr. Peters. She said she thinks it's a head injury. He shows signs of it. He turns in circles. His brain kind of gets stuck on it somehow I think. He may have some vision impairment. If he does, it could be temporary or permanent. She said it was good that his seizures had been less frequent and less severe and that it was good that I hadn't seen any today. I didn't see any for the rest of the afternoon while I was with him either but at that point I had only been with him about 40 minutes. Still that was better, even then, than the previous day and the evening before that. She is putting him on a daily steroid shot for the time being. I'll bring him in to get it in the afternoon. It's supposed to help reduce swelling further and promote the start of healing in the brain. She said that in a very young kitten, since the brain is still growing and developing, there is more possibility of the brain repairing some of the damage. But there is also risk of some serious long term damage. Aside form seizures, which could be a lifelong problem, there is also a possibility of blindness, memory problems, mobility problems. All sorts of things and you can't really predict it because head injuries can be so mysterious and unpredictable. She said it will have to be a take it day by day kind of thing. He's still at a 50-50 kind of chances at this point. But she did note the good things.

He had his shot today and will go back tomorrow at 2:45 for his next one.

He ate a bunch. When we got back from the vet's, he had a bunch of formula and then later he had some tuna and cat food and then some more formula. He had some water too. When he was done eating and drinking (all with aid from me) he mewed and mewed and mewed and just kept walking in circles over and over and over. And then he peed on me. But I had him on my lap at the time, so it makes sense. Then after a bit, he calmed down and went to sleep. My grandma said he did that earlier when he had to pee too. Cried and circled, then squatted, peed, quieted, slept. He sleeps a lot.
Tags: critter tales

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.